New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Doesn't take keyboard input

Links used in this discussion
EJ, User (Posts: 3)
Sep 04, 2017 11:44:23 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
I am running the Host on a computer with Windows Server 2008 R2.  Both Viewer and Host are version 6.8.0.1.  When I connect to the Host, I am able to see the screen, and send CTRL-ALT-DEL. I am also able to move the mouse cursor, and it recognizes mouse clicks. However, when I type on the keyboard (to enter the password) nothing happens on the Host side.  On earlier version (not sure which), I was able to control this computer without problem.
Conrad, Support (Posts: 2987)
Sep 05, 2017 7:10:22 am EDT
Hello EJ,

Thank you for your message.

Is this happening in all cases? I.e. is it 100% reproducible or just happens erratically?
Sep 05, 2017 11:13:56 pm EDT
Seems to be happening every time.  I tried from a different Viewer computer, and had same problem.
Sep 06, 2017 3:47:52 am EDT
Hi EJ,

Sorry, one more question. When you updated Remote Utilities, did you restart the server machine? It is recommended you do so if possible.

Looking forward to your reply.
Sep 06, 2017 6:38:21 am EDT
Hi EJ,

Couple of more questions:

1. Where specifically (in what window/dialog) are you trying to enter the password?

2. Do you have any third party, i.e. non-Microsoft, security software installed on the server?

Looking forward to your reply.
Sep 06, 2017 10:01:31 am EDT
When I first posted this, I had not rebooted after updating the Host software. I then rebooted it, and still had the problem. However, when I just tried it, it is now working. Not sure how to explain that. Perhaps I got confused, and did not actually try previously - after the reboot. Perhaps something is intermittent.

If it happens again, I will pursue further.

In answer to your other questions:

I was trying to enter the password on the Windows login (lock) screen. It recognized CTRL-ALT-DEL, the Cancel button, and the password enter arrow button. It did not recognize keyboard input, or clicking on the ease-of-access icon.

This server is running Webroot Secure Anywhere. If the problem should recur, I'll try disabling that, and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for all your diligent assistance.
Edited:EJ - Sep 06, 2017 10:02:05 am EDT
Sep 07, 2017 2:19:42 pm EDT
Hi EJ,

Thank you for the details! Please, let us know if this problem re-appears.
James Sutherland, User (Posts: 6)
Jun 23, 2021 5:32:00 pm EDT
I've seen exactly this issue come up twice in the last week (running v 7.x viewer on Windows Server 2019): mouse works, keyboard ignored completely. Definitely not using Webroot anything (Bitdefender is our AV of choice).
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Jun 24, 2021 8:38:53 am EDT
Hello James,

Thank you for your message.

Could you please double-check if the remote Host is updated to the latest version 7.0.2.0 as well? In case if Host is not updated to the same version as Viewer please try updating it and see if this helps to resolve the issue as the version mismatch might lead to performance issues or some features not working.

The latest version of Remote Utilities is available for download on this page or via the self-update feature.

Please let us know if the remote Host is already updated to the latest version but the issue still persists.
James Sutherland, User (Posts: 6)
Jul 10, 2021 2:11:32 pm EDT
Yes, issue still persisting on an updated install. Switching to RDP works better on the machine it's enabled on, so I'll be using that in future for most situations, but for freshly remote installed PCs I need to do some setup first, so still need the remote desktop to work occasionally :(

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)