New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Beta testing: Remote Utilities for macOS/Linux

Links used in this discussion
Jim Tracey, User (Posts: 20)
Sep 18, 2023 5:11:05 pm EDT
Support level: Free or trial
Actually posting this using the Linux Agent from my Windows laptop. Seems to work great! Excited to see progress in the Linux/Mac space.

One issue I've found is when connecting using Android. No mouse pointer is visible on the Android device. The mouse moves on the Linux box and the responses ARE seen on on Android.
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2830)
Sep 18, 2023 6:46:19 pm EDT
Hello Jim,

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate it!

We will test out the Android-related cursor issue to see if we're able to reproduce it in our environment and to fix it in the future updates.

Let us know if you have more questions.
Sep 23, 2023 10:06:44 am EDT
When accessing my Linux machine (HP ProX2 612 G1 running Zorin 16.3) my number keypad on the Windows machine is not recognized except in the calculator on Linux. In ever other place I've tested, regardless of Num Lock on or off, the number keypad results in cursor movement.

Just discovered screen resizing is not working remotely either. Maximize, minimize, full screen/window all work, just no handles to resize.

Thanks!
Conrad Sallian, Support (Posts: 2987)
Sep 23, 2023 12:24:36 pm EDT
Hello Jim,

Thank you for the feedback.

When accessing my Linux machine (HP ProX2 612 G1 running Zorin 16.3) my number keypad on the Windows machine is not recognized except in the calculator on Linux. In ever other place I've tested, regardless of Num Lock on or off, the number keypad results in cursor movement.

We will test it. Thanks.

Just discovered screen resizing is not working remotely either. Maximize, minimize, full screen/window all work, just no handles to resize.

Actually, the arrow handles are there only they are not displayed (rendered) on the Viewer side. This is a known issue and will be fixed at later stages or the final release.

Feel free to report to us any issues you may find. Thanks.
Sep 23, 2023 2:39:41 pm EDT
Hi Jim,

As a followup to the numpad issue - we managed to reproduce it. We will fix it in one of the nearest updates.

Note, that currently it works if the NumLock is pressed on the remote keyboard (i.e. NumLock light is on). The problem is that NumLock press isn't transferred remotely.
Sep 23, 2023 9:03:39 pm EDT
Hi Conrad,

Thanks, I'm glad you were able to reproduce and correct it. It worked for me as you described as well.

Jim
Asaf Tevet, User (Posts: 19)
Sep 25, 2023 6:33:36 am EDT
Hi everyone - not sure if these questions have been asked...
1. Can the BETA host versions for MAC be initiated and upgraded remotely exactly the same as the regular client is updated or is it a different process?
2. Is there documentation/step-by-step guide on how to install the MAC host?  (haven't seen it) This shouldn't really require a full release version and is more about process to follow on the MAC which would be really handy when getting someone to install it on the other end
3. I've been waiting for this for so long I had to find an alternate program for MACs... it would have been good if something went out to the client base to notify them of the beta testing :)

Keep up the good work
Sep 25, 2023 7:57:00 am EDT
Hello Asaf,

Thank you for your message.

1. It is going to be the same process, but currently Host isn't available for Mac yet. It is only Agent that is available. We are going to release Host a bit later (either as beta, or together with the Agent final release).

2. There's no documentation yet because there hasn't been a Host for Mac yet. We'll provide the necessary documentation once the Host is out.

3. We avoid spamming our client base unnecessarily. We only notify about critical or major updates, and full releases.

Don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions.
Nov 19, 2023 8:44:15 am EST
Hello,

We've released a minor update (beta 16) to the beta version for macOS / Linux , both Viewer and Host were updated. This update fixes the issue with character duplication when sending keystrokes from Viewer on macOS/Linux to Agent on macOS.

If you are updating to beta 16 make sure that you update both Viewer and Agent. Download pages:

macOS
Linux
Asaf Tevet, User (Posts: 19)
Nov 19, 2023 4:38:12 pm EST
question - do we need to be using the MAC Viewer to connect to a MAC Agent? or will the regular viewer we use work? (in my instance windows based).
The reason I ask is because the recommendation with the updates is to update both the agent and the viewer but the current release viewers aren't actually being updated every time a beta is updated....

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)