New Beta Release! Experience the latest features in our new beta version. Join the beta testing now!

Community

Beta testing: Remote Utilities for macOS/Linux

Links used in this discussion
Jim Tracey, User (Posts: 20)
Mar 08, 2024 5:37:09 pm EST
Support level: Free or trial
Hi Pauline,

Just switched to xorg - didn't realize I was on Wayland - and all is well again...

Thanks! Looking forward to the Agent version when you're able to finalize it!
remoteu, User (Posts: 1)
Mar 21, 2024 3:50:19 pm EDT
Hi, I tested to Ubuntu 22.04 x64 bits LTS (for host and for viewer, on 2 PCs separatly, i don't have microsoft windows installed for info), my result :
- file .deb installalation for viewer : ok, it work
- file .deb installation for host : ok, it work but apparently not clear if installed, trying by command line via 'apt' command and it work
- running viewer on PC#1 (on Ubuntu 22.04 x64 bits LTS) : executing and setting ok, connecting ok to PC#2 but UNABLE to see screen, i have systematically black screen, mouse don't have effect (no move on PC#2) then unable to control remote PC#2, click and move mouse=no effect
- running host on PC#2 (on Ubuntu 22.04 x64 bits LTS) : executing and setting ok, connecting ok from PC#1 (indicate as connected and disconnected when disconnect) but UNABLE to control and/or view screen from PC#1 viewer

In short/resume : black screen (unable to see remote screen pc ubuntu (22.04) AND unable to control t with mouse because no move cursor mouse and no click buttons and no keyboard control too for pc ubuntu

Actually unusable for ubuntu (22.04) pc control, it's because Wayland on ubuntu ?? (screen+mouse+keyboard?)
If yes, then when for support of wayland???

For information nextcloud talk with share screen work perfectly  on ubuntu on browser (webrtc technology but no support for remote mouse and keyboard, just only remote screen viewing, it's for that i search alternative to it, and to  [censored] , and find remoteutilities interessing if good support for linux in future)

cordially
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2832)
Mar 21, 2024 7:53:10 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

Have you already tried switching your Linux system from Wayland display server catalogue to x11 (Xorg)? If no, please try doing so and see if this might help to resolve the issue. As we mentioned in our previous replies, we will implement support for Wayland in our upcoming releases (since for now Remote Utilities for Mac/Linux is only in beta stage).

Let us know if this helps.
city morgue, User (Posts: 2)
Mar 28, 2024 7:03:30 am EDT
Hi, when I try to open Remote Utilities Agent on macOS 10.14.6 it crashes after some seconds. Here the logs:

https://rentry.co/remotemacos/raw

Why is that so? I mean it's supported so shouldn't be a problem...
city morgue, User (Posts: 2)
Mar 28, 2024 8:07:23 am EDT
When I start the agent on macOS 10.14.6 it crashes after some seconds. I already reinstalled it but same behavior. How can I send you the full logs?

Here is a part that might help?

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    DYLD, [0x4] Symbol missing

Dyld Error Message:
 Symbol not found: _CGPreflightScreenCaptureAccess
 Referenced from: /Applications/Remote Utilities Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/Remote Utilities Agent
 Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/CoreGraphics
And hardware info:

Model: MacBookAir6,2, BootROM 431.140.6.0.0, 2 processors, Intel Core i5, 1.3 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 2.13f15
Graphics: kHW_IntelHD5000Item, Intel HD Graphics 5000, spdisplays_builtin
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 2 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x483943434E4E4E384A544D4C41522D4E544D
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 2 GB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, 0x80AD, 0x483943434E4E4E384A544D4C41522D4E544D
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x117), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.61.3 AirPortDriverBrcmNIC-1305.12)
Bluetooth: Version 6.0.14d13, 3 services, 18 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
Serial ATA Device: APPLE SSD SD0128F, 121.33 GB
USB Device: USB 3.0 Bus
USB Device: BRCM20702 Hub
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Air, Apple Inc., 23.6
Mar 28, 2024 9:04:40 pm EDT
Hello,

I will forward the issue to our developers for a review to see if they’re able to provide any input on this.

I’ll keep you updated:
Allan Hall, User (Posts: 43)
Apr 02, 2024 3:48:59 pm EDT
A few items I have noticed while using the Linux beta 1.0.17.

1) Using the address book manager I can not see an import into the General address book. I created a new book and told it to use the XML exported fr om my Windows version. While this works, kinda, I now can not delete the old General address book I am not using.

2) Attempting to delete the General address book using the X delete from the main screen causes the software to crash and the General address book remains.

3) Renaming a new address book in the address book manager causes the software to crash although the name change works.

4) Single clicking to select a client instead tried to connect to it. There seems to be no way to select so I can copy paste to a different address book.

5) The sort order is different in the Linux version as compared to the Windows version. In my Windows version the items I want at the beginning I have proceeded by a ! character. In the Linux version this seems to have no effect as the list is sorted by the second character. In other words....

Windows sort order:
!!Temp
!!Temp2
!Print Server 1
!Print Server 2
Alpha
Bravo
Etc etc

But in Linux I get this instead:
Alpha
Bravo
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliet
Kilo
Lima
Metro
November
Oscar
!Print Server 1
!Print Server 2
Quebec
Romeo
Sierra
!!Temp
!!Temp2
Uniform
Victor
etc etc.

While this is minor, it is very annoying. I would prefer you pick one, either one, and stick with it across platforms. It can be frustrating when you are already dealing with a client who did something stupid and now the remote info is not wh ere you expect it to be.

6) If you are using a dark theme (I am running KDE Plasma with the default dark theme) when you connect to an agent the three boxes at the top of the screen are VERY hard to tell have any markings on them. In fact, I just clicked on each one to see what it did, I could not read anything on the buttons. Now the fly-out on the right button with the little three line menu, that is great, no issues.

I have to admit I have not been using the Linux version that much but it is working pretty well overall for a beta.
Apr 02, 2024 5:22:42 pm EDT
Hello Allan,

Thank you for your feedback.

I will forward the provided information to our developers for a review, so that we can improve our subsequent releases for Mac/Linux.

Let us know if you have questions.
clgsaintandre, User (Posts: 1)
Apr 03, 2024 11:32:21 am EDT
Hello

I have installed RU Viewer on macOS. I have set up my local RemoteUtilities server.
I can connect with my RU server account.
Unfortunately, the Viewer does not retrieve the license and the software is in trial version for 31 days.

On Windows, I don't have this problem.
Does version 1.0.17.q beta 17 not support loading the license from the server?
Thanks
Attached Files
Beta testing: Remote Utilities for macOS/Linux
May 08, 2024 7:00:01 pm EDT
Hello,

Could you please double-check that you have the latest version of Agent for Linux currently downloaded (version 1.0.17.q Beta 17)? In addition, please try downloading Agent once again from scratch and see if you can run its new instance.
We will also try to reproduce the issue in our environment to see if we can find and implement a fix for it.

Let us know if this helps to resolve the issue.

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)