Community

Latest Android Viewer 12.7.1 Crashes on Launch

Links used in this discussion
RR B, User (Posts: 9)
Oct 03, 2024 8:53:43 am EDT
Support level: Free or trial
My installed Android Remote Utilites Viewer was updated to version 12.7.1 in mid September, 2024. After the update, Viewer briefly displays the Remote Utilities logo screen when launched, but then reverts back to the Android home screen from which it was launched (launch fails). If a Viewer launch is attempted a second time, the same logo screen briefly appears and Android reports "Remote Utilities keeps stopping".
The unsuccessful launch/crash started happening right after the version 12.7.1 update. Worked fine in previous version. I'm using a Motorola Play G7 with Android 10.

I had a similar issue in the past when a new version of the Android Viewer was released.

Can anyone confirm that this is a new version bug and if it is being addressed?

Thanks,
-Richard
Oct 03, 2024 8:59:23 am EDT
I've already tried uninstalling/reboot/reinstalling Android Viewer with no success. Also tried clearing cache and user data.

-Richard
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Oct 03, 2024 4:48:35 pm EDT
Hello,

Thank you for your message.

We haven't received any other similar reports on the latest version of mobile Viewer. Are you able to update your device to a more recent version of Android OS?

Looking forward to your reply.
Oct 04, 2024 9:08:21 am EDT
My Motorola G7 Play is not upgradable beyond Android 10.
The Google Play Store says the Android Viewer 12.7.1 is compatible with Android 6 and greater, and that it is compatible with Motorola Moto G(7) Play.

Is there any way I could get a copy of the RU Android Viewer version prior to 12.7.1 and reload it? That version worked perfectly for me.

Thanks,
-Richard
Oct 04, 2024 9:42:48 am EDT
Here is a link on my Google Drive to a screenshot video where I click on the RU icon, the RU logo flashes, and returns to the Android launch screen. I click on the RU icon again, and Android reports "Remote Utilities keeps stopping".

Hope this helps with troubleshooting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k4eet3hiKi7dob3Mf8u0a1p3wJpKa9Dj/view?usp=drive_link
(I tried to attach the video to this post, but the upload kept saying "error saving the file")

-Richard
Pauline, Support (Posts: 2848)
Oct 04, 2024 8:23:46 pm EDT
Hi Richard,

Thank you for the provided video.

We will look into this issue further and see if we’re able to reproduce it in our environment. I’ll let you know once there’s any update available from our developers.

Thank you!

* Website time zone: America/New_York (UTC -4)